The finalists and winners in the Dairy Innovation Awards 2012 and Elopak Dairy Marketing Awards 2012 were announced on 25 April in Oslo at a special Gala Dinner.
The finalists and winners were chosen by an international panel of judges who were looking for products that added value to milk and created a point of difference designed to make the product stand out from the competition. They were looking for initiatives that would benefit consumers of all ages, and marketing campaigns that created 'real impact'.
The judging panel considered over 70 entries from 25 countries in 18 categories, including new products and ingredients to breakthroughs in packaging and sustainability, as well as initiatives in health education and marketing.
"These awards once again demonstrated that innovation continues to be a key driver in the dairy industry," said FoodBev Media's Dairy Innovation editor Geoff Platt, "and that's evident in tasty new products, new packaging ideas, use of new ingredients, great new marketing campaigns and a huge variety of nutrition and environmental projects that interact with consumers and the wider community.
"All this activity helps to make the dairy sector an exciting food and beverage category. The Dairy Innovation Awards helps us shine a spotlight on the sector and helps us celebrate what's going on.
"It was great to see the progress made by major dairy companies and small energetic entrepreneurs alike. And with dairy having such a long and established history, it's great to see how dairy companies of all sizes are using the modern opportunities provided by social media and the digital age."
- Winner: Sartori Reserve Espresso BellaVitano (Sartori Company, US).
Finalists in this category were Wyke Farms (UK) with Wyke Farms Crunchy, Fivemiletown Creamery (Northern Ireland) for Cows Boilíe with Pesto, Fivemiletown Creamery for Cows Boilíe with Sun Dried Tomato, and Sartori Company (US) with Sartori Limited Edition Cognac BellaVitano.
Best butter or dairy spread
- Winner: Botergoud Roomboter voor Bakken en Braden (FrieslandCampina, the Netherlands).
Best ice cream or frozen yogurt
- Winner: Meiji Crispy's (Meiji Co Ltd, Japan).
Finalists in this category were Fivemiletown Creamery (Northern Ireland) with Strawberry & Balsamic Cheesecake flavour, Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation Ltd (India) with Amul Flaavyo Frozen Yogurt, and General Mills (US) with Häagen-Dazs Secret Sensations.
Best functional dairy product
- Winner: Imunele for Men (Wimm-Bill-Dann, Russia).
Finalists in this category were Corporación Alimentaria Peñasanta (Spain) with Naturcol, Corporación Alimentaria Peñasanta for Fibra, Tine SA (Norway) with YT Mellommåltid Kesam, and AGV Products Corporation (Taiwan) for Happy Ranch Bifidus Boost Yogurt Shake with GOS.
Best dairy drink
- Winner: Meiji Colours of the Season Milk (Meiji Co Ltd, Japan).
Finalists in this category were Madeta (Czech Republic) with Madeta Fitness Whey Drink, and AGV Products Corporation (Taiwan) for Happy Ranch Bifidus Boost Yogurt Shake with GOS.
Best children's dairy product
- Winner: Go Cheezooz (Parag Milk Foods Pvt Ltd, India).
Finalists in this category were AGV Products Corporation (Taiwan) with Happy Ranch Super Mom Healthy Milk, and Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation Ltd (India) for Amul Pro.
Best dairy dessert
- Winner: Pure (Maeil Dairies Co Ltd, South Korea).
Finalist in this category was Wimm-Bill-Dann (Russia) for Chudo Collection.
- Winner: Mosili'an Ambient Yogurt (Bright Dairy & Food Co, China).
Finalists in this category were Tims Dairy Ltd (UK) with Tims Greek Style Yogurt with Honey, and Nanyang Polytechnic (Singapore) with Peach Osmanthus Yogurt Cake.
Best newcomer dairy brand of dairy business
- Winner: Savera Dairy (Arla Foods UK).
Finalist in this category was Bridgehead Food Partners (UK) for Chunky Cheese.
Best dairy packaging design
- Winner: Mosili’an Ambient Yogurt (Bright Dairy & Food Co, China).
Finalists in this category were DesignRepublic Brussels (Belgium) for the Delhaize private label milk range, and Nordex Food AS (Denmark) with Taverna White Cheese.
Best dairy packaging innovation
- Winner: Infini (Nampak Plastics Europe, UK).
Finalists in this category were Ecolean (Sweden) Ecolean Air Aseptic portion pack, and Fast Drinks 2005 (Spain) 2GO Self-heating Cappuccino.
Best dairy health initiative
- Winner: Refuel with Chocolate Milk (Milk Processor Education Program, US).
Best school milk initiative
- Winner: School milk campaign – Get twinned with another class from another country (Danish Dairy Board, Denmark).
Best environmental sustainability initiative
- Winner: Zero waste to landfill (Arla Foods UK).
Finalists in this category were Fonterra Co-operative Co (New Zealand) for the Energy Efficiency Programme, Braskem (Brazil) for Green Plastic, and Skånamejerier AB (Sweden) for Biofuels and Green Electricity.
Best social media campaign
- Winner: Make Mine Milk (Kindred, UK).
Best dairy marketing campaign
- Winner: Cream campaign (Fédération des producteurs de lait du Québec, Canada).
Finalists in this category were Kindred (UK) for Make Mine Milk, The Dannon Company (US) for Dannon Oikos Greek yogurt Super Bowl campaign, Milk Processor Education Program (US) for The Power of 9, and DSM (UK) for Total Dairy Solutions.
Elopak Dairy Marketing Awards
Best dairy drink campaign
- Winner: Make Mine Milk (Kindred, UK).
Best fresh dairy campaign
- Winner: Lactofree 2012 campaign (Arla Foods, UK).
All entries will feature in a special Awards Showcase magazine which will be distributed with issue 43 of Dairy Innovation magazine, and be available as a digital edition.
- Douwe Egberts redesigns packaging to reflect UTZ certification
- GlaxoSmithKline repositions Revive from Lucozade to drive sales
- Rabobank identifies three forces driving the hybrid consumer trend
- Beverage > Dairy
- Beverage > Soft Drinks
- Business > Awards
- Business > Events
- Food > Flavours
- Food > Ingredients
- Food > New Products
- Packaging > Labelling