The finalists and winners in the Dairy Innovation Awards 2013 – sponsored by Sidel – were announced on 19 June at a special gala dinner during the 7th Global Dairy Congress in Lucerne, Switzerland.
The judging panel considered more than 140 entries from 23 countries in 15 categories.
"Innovation continues to be the key driver in the dairy industry," said FoodBev Media's Bill Bruce, "and that was evident in the wide range of new products and packaging ideas, use of new ingredients, great new marketing campaigns and a huge variety of nutrition and environmental projects that interact with consumers and the wider community.
"All this activity helps to make the dairy sector the most exciting food and beverage category. Every year, the Dairy Innovation Awards helps us shine a spotlight on the sector, drawing attention to positive trends. This year was no exception, and in fact we can see that there is a rise in new dairy entrepreneurs and a return to more consistent investment in innovation from the more established players."
You can see all of the finalists, highly commended, runners-up and winners in the video above, or you can scroll down to see the full list.
If you'd prefer to watch this video on YouTube, click here. You can also embed this video into your own site by using YouTube's 'Share' function, where you will find simple embedding code.
- Winner: Arla Foods amba (Denmark) with Unika Arla.
Finalists in this category were Sartori Company (US) for Sartori Reserve Chai BellaVitano, Meiji (Japan) with Meiji Cream Cheese Slices, and Bel Brand (US) for The Laughing Cow Smooth Sensations Cream Cheese Spread.
Best ice cream or frozen yogurt
- Winner: Simply Ice Cream (UK) for Salted Caramel Ice Cream.
Finalists in this category were: Happy Ranch (Taiwan) for Happy Soft Serve Ice Cream Mix with GOS, and Meiji (Japan) with Meiji The Premium Gran.
- Winner: Powerful Yogurt (US) for Powerful Yogurt.
Finalists in this category were: Arla Foods amba (Denmark) for Arla Yoggi Yogurt with Stevia, and Emmi Switzerland AG (Switzerland) with Emmi good day.
Best butter or dairy spread
- Winner: Arla Foods amba (Denmark) for Arla Kaergarden Varieties.
Finalists in this category were: The Irish Dairy Board (Ireland) for Kerrygold Softer Block Butter, and Nanyang Polytechnic (Singapore) with Cheesy Spreado.
Best dairy dessert
- Winner: Belle Chevre (US) for Goat Cheese Cheesecake.
Finalists in this category were: Chobani (US) Chobani Bite, and Tideford Organic Foods (UK) for Chocolate Rice Pudding.
Best dairy drink
- Winner: Bio-tiful Dairy (UK) for Bio-tiful.
Finalist was McGrain (Taiwan) with Drinkable Oatmeal Breakfast Latte.
Best functional dairy product
- Winner: First Milk (UK) with Lake District Dairy Co – Quark.
Finalists in this category were: Lacka Foods Ltd (UK) with Be Fast, Fair Oak Brands LLC (US) with Core Power, and Skyland Foods (US) with IBEX drinkable yogurt.
Best children's dairy product
- Winner: PepsiCo, Wimm-Bill-Dann (Russia) for Imunele for Kids.
Finalists in this category were: Arla Foods amba (Denmark) for Arla Baby & Me Organic, and Adams Foods (UK) for MU Patz.
Best new brand or business
- Winner: Emmi Switzerland AG (Switzerland) for Emmi good day.
Finalists in this category were: Arla Foods amba (Denmark) for Unika Arla, Powerful Yogurt (US) for Powerful Yogurt, Tine SA (Norway) with E+ concept, and Ultima Foods (Canada) for iögo.
Best dairy ingredient
- Winner: Tate & Lyle (France) for Tasteva Stevia Sweetener.
Finalists in this category were: Chr Hansen (Denmark) for SaltLite, and First Milk (UK) with Lake District Dairy Co – Quark.
Best dairy packaging innovation
- Winner: Arla Foods UK Ltd (UK) with Cravendale 50cl and 1-litre PET bottles.
Finalists in this category were: Fresh Beverages International (Ireland) for Shinsen Probiotic Cap, Meiji (Japan) for Meiji Bulgaria Fruit Yogurt Drink packaging, and APPE (UK) for LactoEclipse X PET bottle.
Best dairy packaging design
- Winner (sponsored by Tonejet): Lifeway Foods Inc (US) for Helios Organic Kefir.
Finalists in this category were: Arla Foods amba (Denmark) for Arla Baby & Me Organic, and Peter Gregson Studios (Serbia) with Panon Dairy Products.
Best manufacturing or processing innovation
- Winner: Kryoflash (The Netherlands) for Kryoflash patented Smart Freezing Solution.
Finalists in this category were: Fair Oak Brands LLC (US) for Core Power – patented cold filtration system, and Junction Solutions (Wind Rose Communications) (US) for CLEARthru app.
Best environmental sustainability initiative
- Winner: College of Technology and Engineering (India) for Solar Concentrator for milk pasteurisation.
Finalists in this category were: Wyke Farms (UK) for Wyke Farms Renewable Energy Project, and Three Twins Ice Cream (US) for Ice Cream for Acres.
Best marketing campaign
- Winner: British Columbia Dairy Association (Canada) for Music Makes More Milk.
Finalists in this category were: Dairy Farmers of Canada (Canada) for Canadian Cheese Rolling Festival, and Kindred/The British Cheese Board – National Anthem for Cheddar.
- Microscan launches Verification Monitoring Interface to grade barcodes
- WhiteWave Foods to buy So Delicious Dairy Free for $195m
- Philadelphia Duo Cremoso from Mondelez International