Nearly 80% of people surveyed are drinking more iced coffee now than they did one year ago, says Dunkin' Donuts.
A new independent survey commissioned by Dunkin' Donuts shows that more coffee drinkers are turning to iced coffee for energy during the coldest part of the year.
According to the survey results, nearly 80% of iced coffee drinkers are drinking more iced coffee now than they did a year ago, and the majority of iced coffee drinkers prefer iced coffee to hot coffee even in the winter months.
Dunkin' Donuts commissioned the survey of 500 iced coffee drinkers throughout the US during the first week of January in 2011. The survey findings include:
- The majority of iced coffee drinkers (56%) prefer iced coffee to hot coffee, even during the winter.
- Drinking iced coffee during the winter is a hot trend, as 48% of iced coffee drinkers started enjoying the beverage during the winter just within the past three years.
- For energy, iced coffee is the cool choice. When asked for their preferred beverage when they need energy, 64% said iced coffee, followed by energy drinks (22%), carbonated beverages (9%) and juice (6%).
What do people like best about iced coffee?
- 42% said it gives them energy to get through the day.
- 21% said they can drink it faster than hot coffee.
- 19% felt it helped cool them down.
- 18% like being able to drink their coffee through a straw.
- Iced coffee drinkers like a little additional flavour in their cup, as 91% claimed they drink flavoured iced coffee. Mocha and French vanilla were the most popular flavours (30% each), followed by caramel (22%) and hazelnut (13%). -Iced coffee drinkers are a tough bunch. Nearly 40% of iced coffee drinkers brave the elements and hold the cup with just their bare hands in the winter. Only 10% admit to using gloves every time.
- Is it ever too cold for iced coffee? 56% said it's never too cold to enjoy iced coffee.
When do people prefer to drink their iced coffee? The top time periods are:
- 9am-12pm (37%)
- 12pm-3pm (30%)
- 6am-9am (20%)
- After 3pm (13%).
The Dunkin' Donuts' survey follows the recent launch of the brand's new multi-million dollar integrated advertising and marketing campaign for 2011. The campaign is integrated across TV, radio, out-of-home and online advertising, as well as social media, public relations and in-restaurant activities.
The new campaign also includes a spot that celebrates year-round iced coffee drinkers.
Penn, Schoen and Berland Associates conducted a quantitative online flash poll among 500 members of the general population who are 18-49, representative of the US population (gender, age, race and region). The poll was conducted 5-7 January 2011. The margin of error for the overall audience is +/-4.38% and larger for sub-groups.
Source: Dunkin' Donuts
- Caffé Culture 2013, in pictures
- Tetra Pak receives DuPont Continuing Innovation Award
- Pom-Bear Zoo snacks from Intersnack