The latest financial news for 4 April 2012 includes Lifeway Foods, Co-op, Barry Callebaut, Coca-Cola Içecek, Lassonde, Agthia, Fonterra, SkyPeople and AG Barr.
Lifeway Foods records a 20% surge in FY 2011 net sales to US$70.4m, but sees net income fall to $2.9m from $3.6m the previous year.
- Lifeway Foods launches campaign to support maternal health 23 JAN 2012 | Marketing
- Lifeway Foods expands Kefir retail distribution 30 NOV 2011 | Distribution
The Co-operative Group
The Co-operative Group net sales were up slightly at £12.41bn (2010: £12.39bn), reflecting the tough trading period. Within that, the Banking Group saw gross revenue rise 9% to £2.2bn.
Its food business produced sales of £7.3bn, down 2.7% (2010: £7.5bn), and on an LFL basis were down 2.1% for the year, reflecting a marked improvement in the second half – H2 down 0.4% vs H1 down 3.6%.
The specialist businesses division produced sales of £1.5bn, up 1% on last year. Operating profit for the Group was £585m (2010: £582m). On an underlying basis, Group operating profit was £526m (2010: £602m). Within that, the Banking Group delivered a profit of £201m (2010: £202m) while in food, profits were down at £309m (2010: £389m) and specialist businesses were collectively up to £99m (2010: £90m).
- The Co-operative switches all its bananas to Fairtrade 1 MAR 2012 | Retail
- The Co-operative launches ‘Suggest-a-site’ scheme 19 JAN 2012 | Marketing
Barry Callebaut AG
In the first half of fiscal year 2011/12 (ended 29 February 2012), Barry Callebaut AG increased its sales volume by 6.7% and thus again outperformed the worldwide chocolate confectionery market.
All regions and product groups contributed to the volume growth, which rebounded strongly in Q2 (+11.5%). First-half sales revenue grew faster than volumes, rising 10.4% in local currencies (+3.0% in CHF). Gross profit increased by 2.9% in local currencies (-3.9% in CHF). Operating profit (EBIT) decreased by 5.5% in local currencies, -12.5% after translation into Swiss francs.
- Zéphyr white chocolate for pastry chefs and chocolatiers 15 MAR 2012 | Confectionery
- High flavanol chocolate positively impacts brain performance 16 FEB 2012 | Nutrition
Turkey's Coca-Cola Içecek reports a 24% increase in FY 2011 consolidated net sales revenue to Lira 3.4bn, with consolidated sales volume up by 15% to 762m unit cases.
Lassonde Industries reports a 41.8% increase in FY 2011 sales to C$760.3m, due in part to an increase in demand of private label products.
Agthia Group posts a 14% increase in FY 2011 net sales to AED 1.14bn. However, net profit dropped 25% to AED 86m due to higher raw material prices.
- Abu Dhabi-based Agthia buys Turkey’s Pelit Su 31 DEC 2011 | Water
- Fasahat Beg on Agthia’s Wow functional water 2 MAR 2011 | Video
Fonterra posts a 7% increase in H1 2012 revenue to NZ$10bn, with net profit after tax rising 18% to $346m.
- Fonterra plans to extend leadership in dairy nutrition 29 MAR 2012 | Dairy
- DairyNZ board member recognised with top award 23 MAR 2012 | Awards
SkyPeople Fruit Juice
SkyPeople Fruit Juice, a Chinese processor and manufacturer of concentrated juice products, posts a 10% fall in FY 2011 revenue to US$84m, with gross profit declining 28% to $27.5m.
- SkyPeople adds production line for pear juice 3 JAN 2012 | Manufacturing
- SkyPeople Fruit Juice reports Q1 2009 results 18 MAY 2009 | Flavours
AG Barr reports a 6.6% increase in turnover to £237m for the year ended 28 January 2012, and announces plans for a new production and warehouse facility in Milton Keynes.
Recent financial news
- Financial digest, 26 March 2012: General Mills, Tingyi, Yum!
- Financial digest, 13 March 2012: Del Monte, McDonald’s
- Financial digest, 8 March 2012: Senomyx, Nespresso, Nichols
- Financial digest, 27 February 2012: Monster, Arla, CCL
- Financial digest, 22 Feb 2012: Campbell’s, Carlsberg, Heinz
- Financial news, 2 February 2012: Unilever, Dairy Crest
- Douwe Egberts redesigns packaging to reflect UTZ certification
- GlaxoSmithKline repositions Revive from Lucozade to drive sales
- Rabobank identifies three forces driving the hybrid consumer trend
- Beverage > Alcohol
- Food > Confectionery
- Beverage > Dairy
- Business > Financial
- Beverage > Juices
- Manufacturing > Processing
- Packaging > Labelling
- Beverage > Soft Drinks