Mars has become a signatory of The Leadership Compact convened by The University of Cambridge Programme for Sustainability Leadership – a statement of intent signed by global business leaders, committing to value and maintain the Earth’s natural capital.
The Leadership Compact, which will be signed by Mars ahead of the United Nation’s Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio +20) seeks to draw mutual agreement from business leaders, while urging international governments to align economic development with the responsible and sustainable use of natural resources.
In 2012, the conference will focus on two themes: a green economy in the context of sustainable development and poverty eradication, and secondly the institutional framework for sustainable development.
By signing the statement, businesses are pledging to:
- Operate within the limits of natural systems.
- Identify and address externalities (un-costed impacts on people and the environment from the production and consumption of products and services).
- Enable consumers to make better-informed choices.
- Develop rigorous and realistic targets and plans.
- Soho Coffee moves into leisure centre market
- Mocon creates four business units to support global footprint
- Food manufacturers welcome first stage funding success
- Food > Confectionery
- Beverage > Dairy
- Manufacturing > Processing
- Packaging > Labelling
- Distribution > Retail
- Beverage > Soft Drinks