Sara Lee Corp has acquired Expresso.Coffee, a business specialised in selling espresso coffee in the out-of-home small business, vending and bakeries (padarias) segments in Brazil, for an undisclosed amount.
Michiel Herkemij, chief executive officer, Sara Lee International Beverages, said: "This acquisition substantially expands the branding and consumer connection platform for our Pilão brand. Adding Expresso.Coffee to our portfolio reinforces our leadership position in the profitable and fast-growing São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro markets."
Expresso.Coffee is growing rapidly fuelled in part by a license to sell coffee under the Pilão brand, according to the company. The company operates more than 1,000 selling points in the 19 million consumer São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro regions.
Sara Lee is in the midst of dividing the company into two publicly traded, pure-play entities by the end of the first half of calendar year 2012. The company focused on the international coffee and tea market will be named DE Master Blenders 1753 and be based in the Netherlands.
Source: Sara Lee
- Sara Lee to reveal details about coffee and tea business 2 MAR 2012 | Company news
- Sara Lee acquires Tea Forté 4 JAN 2012 | Tea & coffee
- Cargill to acquire grain storage assets of Northstar Grain
- Princes launches two new Atlantic skinless and boneless salmon products
- Halewood unveils Africa-inspired new look for Whitley Neill Gin