Sunny Delight Beverages Co has released its fourth annual Sustainability Report.
The report details the company's commitments, achievements and opportunities against its triple bottom line approach to sustainability-economic performance, environmental stewardship and social responsibility.
Ellen Iobst, chief sustainability officer and senior vice president, manufacturing and technology, said: "Sunny Delight Beverage's Co's commitment to sustainability is unwavering and we are pleased to share our progress.
"Our 2011 focus was on implementing our $85m supply chain reinvention project designed to improve our products, plants, planet and profits. We have achieved a number of our sustainability goals and we are on track to achieve even more in the years ahead as our sustainability journey continues."
Notable achievements in this year's report include:
- Reduced average number of calories per beverage serving from 92 in 2007 to 50 by the end of 2011-a 46% reduction achieved three years ahead of schedule.
- New easier to pour and store square bottle will reduce overall packaging material by 9.7 million pounds per year once fully implemented.
- Continued to ship 90%+ of volume in full truckloads.
- Manufacturing sites reused, recirculated or recycled nearly three billion gallons of water.
- Reduced per-unit energy usage by 12% at Anaheim and South Brunswick plants since 2007.
- Reduced per-unit carbon footprint by 48% at Anaheim and South Brunswick plants since 2007.
- Maintained zero waste to landfill at all plants-diverting nearly 36 million pounds of waste from landfills since 2007.
- Increased participation in employee wellness programmes.
- Contributed nearly $1m in monetary and product donations, in addition to employees' volunteer time, to assist more than 50 worthy organisations or causes.
Source: Sunny Delight Beverages Co
- Britvic to close factories
- Frusions from Rocks Drinks
- Geoff Collins on Clasado's range of prebiotic products