Sterling-Rice Group has identified the top 10 food trends that will be served on restaurant menus and line supermarket shelves across the US in 2014.
The brand strategy, research, innovation and communications firm has counselled and created foods for companies ranging from organic startups to many of the world's largest food companies.
The Top 10
- Lemon. The often unmentioned brightener of dressings and sauces, lemon shines as a main ingredient in its purest, freshest juice or preserved form.
- Tea. Black, green, and other leafy brews will bring a healthy, flavourful twist to dinner, desserts and more.
- Middle Eastern Mediterranean. Middle Eastern seasonings such as sumac, za'atar and marash will expand the boundaries – and flavour profile – of traditional Mediterranean cuisine.
- Dairy & Nuts: Milk made from cashews, almonds and peanuts bring dairy-free, luscious flavours to sauces, drinks and dinners.
- Year of the Yolk. The creamy, decadent, golden globe will reign, adding richness previously provided by cheese, dairy and sauces.
- Refined, Classic American Food. Move over burgers and fries – wedge salads doused in creamy Caesar and other upscale classics take centre plate.
- The Return of Poaching and Steaming. Goodbye bland – wine, coffee, beer and smoky liquids replace water for more flavourful dishes.
- Seaweed Goes Beyond Sushi. Nutritious and full of deep, salty flavour, seaweed shows up as a snack, umami-rich seasoning and more.
- No Ordinary Pasta. Traditional pastas take a backseat to noodles made of alternative flours, seasoned with global spices and formed into new shapes of all sizes.
- The New Flavours of Farm-to-Table. Exotic meat – goat, rabbit and pigeon – raised by small-scale producers offer new feel-good protein choices.
SRG's 2014 Top 10 Food Trends were compiled with the expertise of SRG's culinary council: a team of more than 100 famous chefs, restaurateurs and foodies.
- Smokin' Hot Dog Sauce by Newman's Own
- GlenOaks Farms drinkable Greek yogurts
- Divine Chocolate flies the flag and launches 2014 Easter range