The finalists and winners in the Water Innovation Awards 2012 were announced on 9 October at a special gala dinner in Barcelona.
The ceremony also included the presentation of the inaugural EFBW Award, which seeks to identify creativity and best practice in ‘Communicating the benefits of bottled water for healthy hydration’ by EFBW National Association members.
The awards dinner took place during the 9th Global Bottled Water Congress, organised by Zenith International, and was held at the pavilion Esferic. The Water Innovation Awards 2012 were kindly sponsored by SmartSeal.
The judging panel considered over 75 entries from 19 countries in 12 categories.
“From striking packaging to new flavours and functionality, these awards once again demonstrate that innovation continues to be a key driver in the packaged water industry,” said FoodBev Media group editorial director Bill Bruce, “and initiatives in the environmental sustainability and ethical categories set best practice examples for others to follow.
“The addition of the EFBW Award this year, alongside the diverse entries in the marketing category, also serves to remind us that this industry and its trade associations are excellent at communicating the health benefits of packaged water.”
Best still or sparkling water
- Winner: Eau Matelo (Canada) with De L'Aubier .
Finalists in this category were Aigües Minerals De Vilajuïga SA (Spain) with Aigua de Vilajuïga, and Krusmølle Kilde (Denmark) for Krusmølle Kilde.
Best flavoured water
- Winner: Vöslauer Mineralwasser AG (Austria) with Vöslauer Balance Bitter.
Finalists in this category were Healthy Secret Ltd (UK) for Mune Healthy Water, and Varni Brothers Corporation (US) with Noah's Sparkling Varni Almond Spring Water.
Best functional water
- Winner: Balance (US) with Balance.
Finalists in this category were Adelholzener Alpenquellen GmbH (Germany) for Active O2 Zitrone Nektarine B12, and Healthy Secret Ltd (UK) for Mune Healthy Water.
Best new brand or business
- Winner: caféHydrate (USA) with caféHydrate.
Finalists in this category were Amcor Flexibles (Italy) with Iconiq Drink Pouch, and Eau Matelo (Canada) for De L'Aubier.
Best bottle in glass
- Winner: Krusmølle Kilde (Denmark) for Krusmølle Kilde.
Finalists in this category were Aguas Glaciar SA (Chile) for Ice Swan, and Patagonia Mineral SA (Chile) for Aonni.
Best bottle in PET
- Winner: Nine (Sweden) with Ramlösa Premium PET.
Finalists in this category were Britvic Ireland (Republic of Ireland) for its Ballygowan packaging redesign, and Nestlé Waters Canada (Canada) for Montclair Natural Spring Water.
- Winner: Aigües Minerals De Vilajuïga SA (Spain) for Aigua de Vilajuïga.
Finalists in this category were Eau Matelo (Canada) for De L'Aubier, and Icelandic Glacial (US) for Icelandic Glacial Water (design by Team One).
Best packaging innovation
- Winner: Amcor Flexibles (Italy) with its Iconiq Drink Pouch.
Finalists in this category were Kondrauer Mineral- und Heilbrunnen (Germany) for its Lightweighting Glassbottle for Mineralwater, and PlasTech Innovations (US) for 82Go water.
Best packaging design
- Winner: Spadel (Belgium) for Bru new bottle range.
Finalists in this category were Icelandic Glacial (US) with Icelandic Glacial Water (design by Team One), and Willow Water (UK) for Willow Water (new packaging).
Best marketing campaign
- Winner: Vöslauer Mineralwasser AG(Austria) for Vöslauer sustainability campaign with recycling focus.
Finalists in this category were Gerolsteiner Brunnen (Germany) with Gerolsteiner Bicarbonate Campaign, and Highland Spring Group (Scotland) for its 'Full of the Joys of Highland Spring' campaign.
Best environmental sustainability initiative
- Winner: Coca-Cola HBC Greece SAIC (Greece) for its AVRA CSR programme, 'Some forests have their own Aura'.
Finalists in this category were Kondrauer Mineral- und Heilbrunnen (Germany) for its Lightweighting Glassbottle for Mineralwater, and Nestlé Waters Canada (Canada) for its Public Spaces Recycling Program.
Best ethical or humanitarian initiative
- Winner: Water4Ethiopia (UK) for Water4Ethiopia Bottled Water.
Finalists in this category were Life water (UK) for Life water – Diamond Jubilee bottle, and Water for Africa (UK) for True Sustainable Water Projects in Africa.
EFBW Award 2012
The EFBW Award for ‘Communicating the benefits of bottled water for healthy hydration’
- Winner: ANEABE (Spain) for ‘This Summer get hydrated: We are water'.
- Teaforia Shake & Brew Cold Brew Green Tea Bag
- Yoghurt Mousse dessert pots by The Collective
- Global animal feed additives market estimated to reach $20bn
- Beverage > Water
- Business > Awards
- Business > Events