It's American Craft Beer Week, and to celebrate the occasion, Mintel has provided some insight into the craft beer sector.
- Consumers who were of legal drinking age in 2012 are most likely to report increased consumption of beer (14%), which includes 7% of respondents who are drinking more craft beer in 2013 compared to 2012.
- Discovery of new beers is popular with 93% of imported beer drinkers, 88% of domestic fans and 84% of craft beer consumers.
- Craft beers have found a way to appeal to 49% of 'Millennials' and 40% of 'Gen Xers', but just 29% of 'Baby Boomers' and 22% of 'Swing Generation/World War II'.
- Hispanic consumers also turn to craft beer, with 38% indicating that they consume craft beer at any time. But there's room to grow, since 58% of Hispanics aged 21+ report drinking domestic beer and 55% of Hispanics drink imported beer.
- 84% of craft beer consumers like to choose their beer depending on the season.
- Liquor or package stores are the preferred outlet for craft beer purchases.
- 73% of craft beer drinkers say that they usually know what brand of beer they are going to buy before they go to the store.
- A third of craft and imported beer consumers ask sales associates for advice and information when buying beer.
- 45% of craft beer drinkers indicate that they would try more craft beers if they knew more about them.
- Beer drinkers aged 36-47 are slightly less likely than consumers aged 21-35 to show a preference for the taste of craft beer. Members of Generation X are more likely than their younger counterparts to indicate that imported beer and craft beer are similar value.
Enjoy the week!
- Tate & Lyle opens polydextrose dietary fibre facility in China
- Top 10 stories on FoodBev.com, August 2014
- Special Edition Goats' Cheese & Beetroot Fiorelli by Ugo Foods