Japanese beverage maker Kirin Holdings has bought a majority stake in state-backed Myanmar Brewery Limited for $560m from Fraser & Neave.
The transaction sees Kirin take control of 55% of the Japan’s largest brewer with Myanmar Economic Holdings claiming the remaining 45%.
Myanmar Brewery which produces Myanmar Beer, Myanmar Double Strong and Andaman Gold is the country’s biggest brewer with an 80 per cent share in the local beer market and sales of $201m.
Kirin joins other international brands such as Heineken and Carlsberg which have set up local brewing facilities to prepare for further opening of the previously closed Southeast Asian economy.
© FoodBev Media Ltd 2021
World Beverage Innovation Awards – NOW OPEN FOR ENTRIES!
The awards celebrate excellence and innovation across the global beverage industry.
Don’t miss out on having your innovations recognised on a global scale.
Deadline for entries 23 July – enter now!
Don’t get left behind
Start your free Foodbev magazine trial today and join thousands of fellow industry professionals in receiving food and drink trends direct to our business.
Click here to start your free trial