Finland-based MySoda has launched a new sparkling water maker made from a wood-based biocomposite, rather than plastic alone.
Available in several European countries, the new MySoda Woody product is the result of a three-year development project jointly undertaken by MySoda and UPM, a Finnish forest industry company. The project aimed to create a sustainable solution with a reduced quantity of fossil-based plastic compared to other sparkling water makers on the market.
According to MySoda, the machine is made from 99% renewable and wood-based raw material. 60% of the biocomposite material consists of polypropylene – made of renewable tall oil – and the remaining 40% is made from wood fibre, a side-stream product from the sawmill industry.
The company claims that the biocomposite is equivalent to conventional plastic in terms of strength and rigidity, which enables its use in products designed for daily use.
David Solomon, CEO of MySoda, said: “We wanted to introduce a brand new device into the product category of sparkling water makers – a product free of plastic, distinguishing it from many other small household appliances.
“Consumer surveys also indicated that the design of sparkling water makers on the market did not please consumers. We conducted uncompromising product development with our partners for three years and created a device that is both pleasing to the eye and made of environmentally friendly material.”
© FoodBev Media Ltd 2022
World Beverage Innovation Awards – NOW OPEN FOR ENTRIES!
The awards celebrate excellence and innovation across the global beverage industry.
Don’t miss out on having your innovations recognised on a global scale.
Deadline for entries 23 July – enter now!
Don’t get left behind
Start your free Foodbev magazine trial today and join thousands of fellow industry professionals in receiving food and drink trends direct to our business.
Click here to start your free trial