Tyson Foods has announced a Forest Protection Standard, in an effort to reduce deforestation risk in its global supply chain.
The standard will focus on four commodities in its global supply chain: cattle and beef; soy; palm oil; and pulp, paper and packaging.
The company previously partnered with Proforest – a non-profit organisation – to conduct a deforestation risk assessment across its supply chain. At the time, Tyson said the findings would inform the development of a Foods Forest Protection Policy in 2020.
According to Tyson, the assessment concluded that nearly 94% of the company’s land footprint is at no to low risk of being associated with deforestation. Tyson has developed the Forest Protection Standard to address the remaining 6% and ensure it is continuing to target and support deforestation free sourcing.
“As one of the world’s largest food companies and a recognised leader in protein, we have an important role in protecting forests and other natural ecosystems,” said Dean Banks, Tyson Foods president and CEO.
He added: “We are asserting our ambition to make protein more sustainable and look forward to working with our supply chain partners, customers and other stakeholders to do our part on this important issue.”
To support the Forest Protection Standard, Tyson is developing specific action plans for each commodity area. Progress towards meeting the goals of the standard – which align with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals – will be outlined in the company’s annual sustainability report.
© FoodBev Media Ltd 2021
World Beverage Innovation Awards – NOW OPEN FOR ENTRIES!
The awards celebrate excellence and innovation across the global beverage industry.
Don’t miss out on having your innovations recognised on a global scale.
Deadline for entries 23 July – enter now!
Don’t get left behind
Start your free Foodbev magazine trial today and join thousands of fellow industry professionals in receiving food and drink trends direct to our business.
Click here to start your free trial