Emmi has acquired all of the remaining shares in organic milk processor Gläserne Molkerei, and has taken full control of the German company.
The Swiss dairy firm began collaborating with Brandenburg-based Gläserne Molkerei in 2012 when it acquired a minority stake in the company, increasing its holding from 24% to 76% in 2014. This latest acquisition, completed for an undisclosed sum, means that Emmi has bought the remaining 24% of shares.
Emmi is the largest producer of organic dairy products in Switzerland and is carrying forward its involvement in this segment abroad, it said. Examples include the lactose-free organic dairy products from US firm Redwood Hill Farm & Creamery, the organic and Demeter-certified desserts of Italy-based Rachelli and – its biggest undertaking – Gläserne Molkerei’s full product range.
The German company is a leading organic milk processor in Northeast Germany, with a premium range of milk, cheese and other dairy products. With a workforce of around 100 staff and two sites in Brandenburg and Mecklenburg-West Pomerania, the company generated sales of just under €100m last year.
It sources its milk from Northeast Germany and neighbouring Denmark, with all of its suppliers belonging to one of six environmental agricultural associations.
Emmi CEO Urs Riedener said: “Natural, sustainably manufactured products are a major trend in the dairy business, which Emmi wants to take even better account of in the future. In Gläserne Molkerei we have a very strong niche company that offers lots of potential for the future.”
© FoodBev Media Ltd 2019
World Beverage Innovation Awards – ENTER NOW!
The awards celebrate excellence and innovation across the global beverage industry.
Don’t miss out on having your innovations recognised on a global scale.