61% of Britons admit they have increased their alcohol intake since lockdown began, according to new research by personalised vitamins provider Vitl.
Vitl’s research, which was conducted as part of a wider study into the ways self-isolating is impacting the lifestyles of Britons, involved 2,200 anonymous participants.
According to Vitl’s findings, Britons have on average tripled the number of units they are consuming, since the imposition of lockdown. Compared to before self-isolation, average weekly consumption as estimated by respondents, has increased from 10 to 31 units – or to more than double the maximum weekly amount advised by the NHS.
The study also asked participants how often they currently drink. It was found as many as 38% are drinking every night, and of these respondents more than a fifth (21%) drink enough to get drunk on a nightly basis, while the remaining 79% stick to one or two drinks.
Furthermore, 11% think they will continue to drink every night until the most stringent self-isolating measures are lifted.
As many consumers face restrictions on the quantity and type of items they can buy at the supermarket, or seek to limit potentially risky trips to the shops, Vitl suggests that interest in online delivery services has also increased.
In analysis of Google Tends data, their researchers found that searches for ‘wine delivery UK’ have increased by 2,250% in the last month. Searches for ‘beer delivery’ are also up 550%.
Georgie Murphy, head of nutrition at Vitl, commented: “Whilst people are inclined to drink more during testing times, we wanted to reiterate that although it may seem like a temporary escape from the world around us, the numerous effects of alcohol on your mental and physical wellbeing are far from desirable.
“Regular drinking can have detrimental effects on your health and, more specifically, your digestive and immune system. When there is a lingering threat to your health, it is even more critical to take preventative measures to protect yourself.”
Vitl’s findings follow recent research by food-tech firm Chicory on changing consumer preferences in the wake of coronavirus. Looking instead at US consumers, Chicory observed an uptick of interest in so-called superfood ingredients as well as a surge in demand for non-perishable products.
© FoodBev Media Ltd 2019